Sunday, February 12, 2012

Cathy


Cathy
20x16"
Oil

     I gave my demonstration last Wednesday for my local art club.  I decided to paint the incoming president of the club. She is a lady with lots of youthful, loving spirit. While I wanted to get her likeness just right, I also wanted to show her warmth.  Most of the people in the club must paint portraits from photos, so I felt it was helpful to the majority to paint Cathy from a photo, but if I could have painted her in person, I think I would have captured her personality much better. There is a richness to painting from life you just cannot get from a photograph. I believe photographs are bossy!
     Even though I practiced, I can see I must do more. The values got away from me. When I corrected them, the color went wrong. Practice, practice, practice.