Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Fawn


Fawn
12x12"
Oil
$288
(Daily Paintworks Auction beginning bid $185)

     Deer often come through our yard. They eat anything in a flower pot and they drink from the birdbath.  I love it when they visit, but it is especially good when I can get a picture of them doing something more active like this little one scratching his ear. My problem here was to emphasize his cute self, not his rear end facing the viewer. I made his nose and eye very dark against the light background to make his face the focal point and left his bottom a dark value against a medium background to de-emphasize it. I like the way his body naturally creates the composition even though the focal point is in the lower quadrant, not what I usually prefer. Nature just has a way of offering us surprises.