Monday, February 11, 2013

The Amalgam Challenge


Flowers after Lisa Daria
6x6"
Oil
$72
DPW $60

     Jo MacKenzie posted this Challenge on Daily Paintworks. Since I am her fan I wanted to be sure to do it. The challenge is to paint in the style of another artist. Since I am also a fan of Lisa Daria, I knew right away who I wanted to emulate.
     Lisa paints flowers in a loose abstract style. She simplifies the shapes to an extreme reduction and the result is wonderful. I knew I could learn a lot from her, so I was happy to see Jo's Challenge.
     Could I simplify to the degree that Lisa does? Nope. At moments I forgot what I was up to and fell into my own way of seeing. Other times I became intrigued with a lovely little detail and wanted to be sure to include it when Lisa would never have done that. 
     Nevertheless, I believe I still learned something from this Challenge (assignment?). I intend to try for more abstraction and simplification in my next piece. Thank you, Jo and Lisa.



1 comment:

  1. What a fabulous job you did on this one, Cheryl. I love it!
    Hope to see some of what you learned peeking through in your next one. Easy of me to say and maybe not so easy for you to do....but I think you can do it. You already have a strong sense of simplicity in your work.

    ReplyDelete